Sunday, June 30, 2013

My Governor's Ball Experience In 3 Parts

              If I could use one word to describe my Governor’s Ball experience it would have to be….



MUD.

                Your Governor’s Ball experience in 2013 was dictated by how well you could deal with the mud you had to walk through. You had no way to get around it or avoid it. It was there at the beginning on Friday and it was the last thing that greeted us on Sunday. The mud which was at its worst on Saturday was the result of what can be described as no less than a monsoon that hit the New York area on Friday the first day of the festival. It created this thick mud that was six to eight inches deep and it covered the entire festival venue. So every step you took you were getting your foot buried in this thick mud that created a suction on your boots that made every step a tiring, exhausting Bataan death march from one stage to the other. And with four stages it leads to a lot of walking. The mud really did change the entire complexion of the whole weekend. It went from being a festival to celebrate music to just surviving the experience.
            But I take it like a badge of honor that a fellow festival attendee who has apparently been to many festivals including Glastonbury which is notorious for horrible weather said that this was (referring to Friday’s monsoon) the worst weather he had ever seen at a festival he had attended. He said if you could survive this you could survive anything. And survive the Chef and I did.
            Barely…
            The seeds for this had been planted many moons ago. As you know the Chef and I are frequent concert goers. And we had always wanted to go to a festival whether it be Lollapalooza, Coachella, Electric Zoo, or any other weekend long festival. So when they announced the lineup for this year’s Governor’s Ball we made the decision to go for it. We plunked down our $240 per ticket for a chance to spend three days of fun, food, and music. And with the added convenience of it only being a 30 minute drive from our houses it was the perfect opportunity to finally go to a festival. I personally was excited as all heck to finally see a festival in person. Having read stories about other festivals I was excited to be finally attending one in person. Ironically at the end I was more excited for the experience then any musical act I saw. Not to say I didn’t enjoy some of the music. But I just wound up liking it a lot less then I thought I would. Again not because it was bad but just because of the atmosphere of the festival itself.
But here is my view of our festival experience by day as well as all the artists I saw on each day. Understand that expect for maybe three or four acts I saw none of the artists sets in there entirety. As I learned very early on sacrifices have to be made in order to catch every act you want to see. It results in leaving some sets early in order to get a good spot and also to beat the crowds to whomever you wanted to catch.

Day 1

Setlist
1.      St. Lucia
2.      The Knocks
3.      Holy Ghost
4.      Best Coast
5.      Of Monsters & Men

The first day was ruled by the forecast which said it was not going to rain but to poor all day long. And it was relentless. Now I am a big fan of the rain. I’m not like a lot of people in that when it rains I take out my umbrella or run for cover. I’ll gladly walk and enjoy the raindrops that fall on my head. But knowing this was going to be the Chef and I in the elements for 12 straight hours I figured it would be best to keep the rain off of us as long as possible. So I got some ponchos from my parents and thank God I did. It rained the entire day we were their except for maybe a half hour total. Between the mud and the relentless downpour it was an extremely miserable and pretty depressing beginning to the weekend. As I mentioned after you walked into the main gate the first thing that greeted you was mud. It wasn’t a little tract of mud but a huge expansive field of mud. You had no way of walking around it or by it on the sides. To get to either of the two main festival areas you had to walk through this. Now I had came with my Tim boots on ready for whatever might have awaited me. The Chef unfortunately wore sneakers and I felt so bad for her. Cause I knew the first step she took she would spend the rest of the day there with wet shoes, socks and feet. Sure enough she took her first steps in the mud and her sneakers were destroyed. I felt horrible for her.

Felt horrible for her. She wore sneakers.
One of the worst pieces of news was who the beer sponsor was for the weekend. Now the food was some of New Yorks best food vendors. Crif Dogs. Bauhaus. Rickshaw Dumpling. Arancini Bros. It was a collection of great food options. So it was with great excitement that I could not wait to hear who was the beer I would be buying for the weekend. Maybe Brooklyn Brewery. Some microbrew from the island.
Nope. I walk in and see Miller Lite plastered in front of my face. MILLER LITE. Just the most trashiest of white trash beers. Needless to say beyond my one hard apple cider I had while watching St. Lucia I did not have another alcoholic drink all weekend. I drank water for the rest of the weekend.
So not much to say about the musical acts on this day. St. Lucia was the first act we saw and they were the best thing thing I heard as they played a fun rock sound. But mostly the weather dictated what we saw and more so how long we watched anyone. Even the artists playing didn’t want to be their as the lead singer of Best Coast said.
Most of the time people spent the day trying to get away from the rain. The Chef and I wound up spending the majority of our day in the silent disco tent drying off and just finding a place we weren’t getting soaked. For those of you who don’t know silent disco is a place where a dj plays music and you can only hear he or she by wearing headphones tuned to his or her music. It is actually pretty cool as you have a bunch of people dancing but if you are just walking by you see a bunch of crazy people dancing with no music at all. It is actually a really awesome visual especially when the dj plays a song like Naughty By Nature’s ‘O.P.P.’ and you have people singing the chorus and people walking by just hear people singing the hook “You down with O.P.P., yeah you know me…”

Enjoy the silence...

It was also the place where I saw what was the funniest moment for me at the feastival. They had these giant balloons that were lit to give people some light in the dark so they could see where they were walking. At the time they turned them on the temperature was about 60 degrees and most people had been outside in the rain for the better part of six hours already. You saw a dozen people go up to the ball raising their hands for warmth in a desperate attempt to stay warm. It’s hard to describe how funny I found this so I think the picture really helps.

Warmth!

I had desperately wanted to catch Beach House who was one of the bands I really wanted to catch when I first heard the lineup. The Chef had really wanted to see Kings of Leon who were headlining the first night. But around 8:30 about a half hour after Beach House was supposed to be onstage I conferred with the Chef and we decided that we had had enough of being miserable. So we decided to leave early. As it turned out Beach House came on a couple of minutes later and played a paltry three songs before being ushered offstage and Kings of Leon was cancelled due to inclement weather. I really felt ripped off that by the promoters that they didn’t ask these bands back the next day but at that point I was soaking wet and didn’t care. I just wanted to get us in my car and leave.

Ah, but that is where the story gets dicey. We get back to my car which the people had me park in the grass. But it had rained all day and the water table was saturated. So what if my car got stuck in the ground because it was too wet. Sure enough we get back to the parking lot and there is car after car stuck in the mud. Virtually every exit path blocked by a stuck car that had drove itself into the mud by gunning the engine and just getting bogged down in the now soft, muddy ground. I helped push one car out and then began looking for a possible way out. I walked around for a good five to ten minutes getting drenched by the even heavier rain when I finally came upon a way out. The only trick was making sure I gave it enough gas without getting stuck and ripping up the ground too badly and not having an option other then waiting for the tow truck to pull me out. But I saw a path that lead to some concrete around a stuck car and decided it was my chance to get us away from this hell. I jumped in my car and turned it on and put it in drive. I got right up to the lip where concrete met grass (nee mud) and at the last minute felt my car slipping. My traction light came on telling me my car was spinning in place so I decided to give it some extra gas and at the last second MEGAMI (that is the license plate on my car. Look it up if you want to know what the word means) pulled herself out of the mud/grass and onto dry land. The Chef and I took two of the deepest sighs ever and we were blissfully on our way home to a shower and away from a horrible first day of Governor’s Ball 2013. 

This grass became a football field of mud. Fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment